Wednesday, November 12, 2014

My Top 8 Reasons for Working out and Eating Clean

Hi! It's been a wild week!

I just found out I'll be starting a new job in 2 weeks! Yay! No worries though! I'll still be here on the blog...I have no intentions of forgetting my health or writing...in fact I might enjoy blogging even more! Ok, so this post was inspired by a comment made by a someone I know recently. (The names are changed to protect the guilty....) LOL! Anyway, I'm using this as a mindset example....no worries, I once had this mindset myself and I've learned to change it. hahaha...I often refuse dessert when eating out or at church dinners....or often times because I just don't have a particular taste for that type of dessert....anyway...the comment was made: You're so little - eat some dessert....honestly, where's the logic in that....I've wanted to respond to comments like this for awhile, well...I get tired of hearing that I need to eat junk or skip working out because...I have a smaller frame.) I replied to the comment by saying, thanks, but it's not about looking good, it's about feeling good! I don't like it when someone tries to make me go along with what they're doing, just because I make them uncomfortable...call me Captain Controversial, but I'm a grown woman, and I think it's silly for me to be told in public that I "need" to eat dessert. I don't need to eat dessert...I have gluten sensitivity, and while I do sometimes splurge....It is at my own discretion when and how much I should splurge, just because I feel, well gross later on...you see, it just makes me want to go to sleep....I do enjoy dark chocolate, and I do eat dessert, but my logic is....there will be plenty of time to sample desserts 2 weeks from now, and I need to maintain my focus. I want to have the energy to do what I personally have to get done in the next 4 weeks...well, 6 weeks...and I don't have time to be sick...by the way, have any of you ever noticed that flu season hits its peak right after Christmas. I believe it's because we run ourselves ragged and maintain no time for our health... Anyway I wanted to share with you my "why" for working out...and while cut abs and rock hard arms and legs are great...I do have plenty of other motivation for working out, which to tell the truth, is what gets me through my tough days. So here's why I exercise and eat right:



1. More energy...I've had anemia in the past, and while no longer anemic, I can't deny that I have much more energy on days that I eat lots of veggies and lean proteins, as well as healthy fats. If I have a sweets craving, I love to nix it with a half a pomegranate this time of year! For salty cravings, I like to have 3 cups (1 yellow container) of Orville Redenbacher's Simply Naturals Sea Salt popcorn.

2. I fuel my workouts with my food intake. After working in the fitness industry for years, I've learned that there's a wrong way and a right way to eat before and after a workout.

3. I feel better when I workout. If I go a few days without working out....I'm on the level of some of those crazies you see on Black Friday! Not that bad, but you get the point. I feel less stressed, and sometimes. I need to punch and kick at something. Moms who deal with kids and say there's no time to workout: how have you not gone nuts?! Or maybe you do feel nuts...I have no idea.

4. Variety is the spice of your health regimen...yeah, I change up my workout schedule every 2-4 weeks to prevent burnout. You should be doing that too. Over training causes injury and hinders results. You can't blast away at the same speed all the time. Find workouts that allow for strength, power, cardio, mind/body connection, and flexibility for results that don't quit internally and externally. Try a new food once in awhile...some of my favorite foods now are things...I've randomly tried.

5. Injury prevention is key to be able to function in life...I've heard all too many times...I'll wait until after the knee surgery and skip pre-physical therapy. Well, I have news for you, there will be no bouncing back. It will take twice as long to recover in most cases. I've seen too many people regret that decision, that's why I stay active. I don't want to be physically unable to dance or work around my own house.

6. My immune system...while in my 4th year of college, my immune system decided to take a mind of its own and completely rebel against my body...I burned a fever every day for 4 weeks during that semester, and eventually...I developed a grayish complexion, and my hair started to turn brittle...My heart was doing funky things as well...I had frequent migraines, and spent so much time combating depression and staying in bed from migraines that I did nothing but work and school, which did not help with depression, trust me. While I was dealing with apparent emotional issues...I somehow managed to hide most of the physical issues I was having, except weight gain between 35 and 40 pounds of it...did I mention my thyroid was acting up too...I'm a firm believer in being a good steward now, but I was not a good steward in anyway at that point. How could I expect God to bless me in my health and my finances if I was not doing what it took to get both under more control.

7. My hubby. ok, ladies, don't give me the excuse that your husband doesn't want you to be healthy, because if he values you, he values your health and well-being. That being said, I find it staggering that more women use their husband as an excuse., which may be true in some cases, but not the large majority. Personally, can I say something from one woman to another? Why is it that we ladies will try every cream, pill, lotion, gel, or  wrap known to woman, but we refuse to exercise and eat healthy....this focus on the external will only drive you away from reaching your goals. Maybe it's not that your husband doesn't want you to get fit, maybe it has to do with he doesn't want you falling for a magic pill. Advice, write out your plan and your goals and then show it to him. He'll invest. Trust me. He might even join you! In addition to looking and feeling better, you'll gain self-control and confidence.

8. To have children someday. Hey, you have to keep up with the kiddos right? I'm an active person and have been since birth, according to my mother. I have two speeds: wide open, and fast asleep. My kids will probably be the same way. I want to be able to take them places - to the park, iceskating, hiking, you name it. I can't have the energy to keep up with them if I don't eat properly, and they will learn eating habits from me. Right now, I'm practicing. Plus, meal prep, healthy or unhealthy, is a beast.

There are lots more reasons that I work out, but these 8 really stand out to me. I don't plan on being the world's strongest woman. Although, I really want to knock out pull-ups like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. I can tell you it's strengthened my walk with the Lord, and He's used it to teach me self-discipline. Maybe it's time to reflect on why you really need to get fit....if it's about weight....you can reach a peak and then go no further, within healthy boundaries. This is why there has to be something more. Have an awesome workout today, and treat yourself to a healthy dinner. :-)


-Julie

4 comments:

  1. I have to make time to exercise. When my daughter's asleep or right after work...but I have to get it done. She's a ball of energy so I need to be able to keep up! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of these reasons and I would ignore the other folks - seriously!!!! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new job! Nice post and you've given great reasons! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great tips! I always try to eat as clean as possible because I have found that I just workout better and run better when I do #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete