Monday, October 28, 2013

What to do with a 10+lb. pumpkin...Eat it!

Ok, so I really didn't have time to go to the pumpkin patch this year. I teach a class for a corporate fitness program to a group of wonderful ladies who love to bring me something from their latest garden/farm crop and their latest homemade salsas and sugar-free preserves. (Can you say "yuuuummmmy"?) So when one of my students asked to bring me a pumpkin, I didn't know she was going to bring me the biggest pumpkin in the state...just kidding, but this pumpkin was well over 10 lb. I would've paid a FORTUNE for this at the grocery store, and it was organic!!! After I got over the shock, my hubby and I had to decide what to do with this beast...I named it Himey...(I'm really dorky, ok..?) Well, the pumpkin sat and ripened for a little while...but I must confess. I had no idea what to do with this giant!...well, other than roast the seeds. So, I decided to embark on a new culinary adventure, with extreme thankfulness that I bought a new chef's knife recently. So I cut my very orange pumpkin friend into pieces, scraped out the seeds, and roasted him in the oven, while I roasted seeds in my toaster oven. After I cut the flesh from the pumpkin, I then separated pumkin I would freeze from pumkin I would puree'. It took up my two largest tupperware containers and then some. I thought to myself, great the pumpkin is prepped, but what do I do next?
That's when my great friend's at IDEA inspired bloggers were more than happy to lend a helping post or two of their pumpkin recipes. So thank you ladies, there were so many wonderful post to choose from! Friends, please check out their blogs for these great pumpkin recipes! Meanwhile, here's one of my own:(This recipe has been endorsed, by my husband, Micah Auler.)



Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (Serves 1)
1/4 c. greek yogurt (plain)
1/2 c. pureed pumpkin
1/4 c. unsweetened almond milk
1/4 c. oatmeal
1 tsp. honey
2 packets of stevia
1 dash ground ginger
2 dashes nutmeg
2 dashes cloves
2 dashes cinnamon
Put all ingredients in blender and blend, and enjoy!

Link Love:
Pumkin Protein Granola
Pumkin Pie Greek Yogurt
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Pumpkin Lentil Tacos
Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
Pumpkin Pie Quinoa
Pumpkin Cupcake
Pumpkin Pancakes

As always, let me know your thoughts! Leave a comment or email any time!




No comments:

Post a Comment