Monday, November 18, 2013

Motivational Monday: what challenge do you face?

So, it was a tough week last week. Learned a lot, laughed a lot, and cried a lot, but definitely am better for it.If you haven't figured out by now, it's been a pretty rough six months for me. There, I thought I would just spell it out for you. It's been difficult to get workouts in when you carry a lot of responsibility, but a word to my procrastinating friends, it is worth every second. Between all the fixer-upper projects around the house and Micah finishing school, some days, I feel like my brain and heart want to explode. One thing God has taught me through all this is perseverance, and to keep pressing on, no matter what anyone else says, what He says matters more. Here we are, 20 days from the finish line, and I look at how many prayers have been answered, how many tears have been shed, and how much this time of growth has been a blessing. My challenge to you this week is look your obstacle straight in the eye. Stop pretending it's not there, stop trying to get around it; work through it. It could be not wanting to confront an eating habit that is wrecking your health. It could be not making any time to exercise. Whatever it may be, you can either decide to give up, or you can become stronger through it. My next advice is practical. Write down steps to your goals. I'm not exactly perfect at executing these plans myself yet, but there are tools out there that can help you. Stop saying you can't keep a planner or even write down long term goals. Just stop it. The book, Home School, High School, and Beyond by Beverly Adams-Gordon has great resources, not just for high schoolers, but for anyone who needs a little direction, I'm an artsy type, so I need a lot of it. She helps you break down your long-term goals into short-term goals of 5 years, 2 years, 1 year, 6 months, and quarterly goals, and even weekly goals. My point is, it is worth the time, effort, and resources, to look at ways to overcome obstacles. There are tons of organizational forms on Pinterest. There is something out there that will suit your unique personality, but the first step is just do something, even if it involves notebook paper and a pencil, start writing down what you want to accomplish. It's worth it. Hiding does not make the obstacle your facing go away, but creating a battle plan helps you to overcome it. There, that's my motivational soapbox for the week. Anything worth having is worth working hard for.



2 comments:

  1. Great post and love the verse. LOVE the book of James. I could have written a very similar post myself. Sometimes the effort is hard, but we do have to remember that God's opinion really IS what matters most :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elizabeth. James is definitely my grace-growing book! Sometimes it's tough remembering my identity is in Him, but so comforting! I checked out "She Reads Truth". Love it! :-)

      Delete