Monday, December 2, 2013

Monday Motivation: Balance and Moderation

How many of us ate until we were stuffed and enjoyed every minute of it? I did!!!! Yes, my husband eat clean at home, but we enjoy splurging at family gatherings. With the holidays advancing, I'd love to approach this often controversial topic: balance and moderation. We here these terms used in vague and generic ways in the fitness industry, but I'd like to discuss this in no uncertain terms.

How much is moderation? Well, for some of us it is a lot less than we think it is. For example, we had 2 thanksgiving feasts in one day. My dad has to be careful with certain foods because of inflammation issues, so we cooked pretty healthy for lunch. I made a g-free, almond-crusted sweet potato casserole, and healthier green bean casserole, but we still ate traditional stuffing with the turkey....you see, we knew our limits. None of us wanted to feel wretched later either. haha....The food was good, and we enjoyed some of our favorite foods without overdoing it. I even had a slice of  pecan pie. (gasp).

Micah's family is much more diverse, they oftentimes have up to 3 types of stuffing, a salad, and several casseroles, and several turkeys....yes, I said several turkeys, there's a lot of Aulers, Coulters, and Williamses when you throw us all together. I didn't pig out on everything, but I definitely enjoyed a variety. This brings me to my point. There are many people out there that think that moderation is avoiding everything....really??? This accomplishes nothing. You get so wrapped up in what you're eating that you can't enjoy any of the festivities. Does it mean trying everything, no, you don't have to try everything. Moderation is using self-control, and knowing where your limits lie, and purposing in your mind that you will be back to your healthy eating habits the next day.

Some healthier options for getting rid of those leftovers include: fixing a fresh salad to go with turkey, making a turkey chili, drinking water with your leftovers instead of sodas. There are lots of options. Micah and I have made healthy food choices a lifestyle, so getting back to our regular routine wasn't a stretch. It's not about crash dieting, it's about healthy habits.


No comments:

Post a Comment