Monday, December 16, 2013

Motivational Monday - Goal Setting and Top 5 Fitness Gifts!

Well, after a busy weekend, my husband, Micah, just graduated from college - I'm gearing up for an even busier week next week. Oh my whoa, it's been crazy around here, and all I want to do 24-7 is sleep...that's right, I, who always have energy, could sleep through the holidays right now. So here's how I've been managing to swing staying inspired to keep getting my fitness and healthy eating on because I don't believe in New Years' Resolutions...you can commit to better habits any time of the year. New Year's just makes it a more momentous occasion...

1. Get a workout buddy...someone who doesn't "talk junk", but someone who won't beat around the bush. If you need to write out a contract for each other on paper. You are less likely to fudge if it's official. For example, I'm forgoing chips this month, this is because it is a trigger food for me, meaning I could eat tortilla chips by themselves...by the bagful.

2. Keep a workout and food journal. The workout section of this is great, and let me explain why... I have a minor in strength and conditioning...rule numero uno...write out your goals, then your plan to get to those goals...you need to have an idea of what you're going to workout in advance, on what day, etc., then write down which exercises you need. FOOD journal...this is important for me...I come from a long line of compulsive eaters, so this helps me keep on track, making sure I have sufficient protein, fiber, fats, etc. to keep my body fueled. My weakness is salty carbs, aka chips, and when I see it all on paper, the portion sizes are put into perspective for me.

3. I cannot say it enough....take time to destress... the world is full of people who are losing perspective and caught up in the materialization of it all. I call this the "Martha" complex. If you try to make your house and your family "perfect" for your guests, you are doing yourself and your loved ones a disservice. I've been in picture perfect surroundings, where I was miserable because of all the drama and stress going on...it's not worth it. This season is about what's going on on the inside, not the outside. 

4. Get rid of the self sabotage...I'm sick of this so-called fit-spo on pinterest and tumblr and instagram...God gave you the body you have for a reason, so stop trying to be an anorexic teenage girl who's been photoshopped...GET OVER IT. You should be the healthiest you possible, not someone else. If you're 32  with curves, stop trying to be a skinny 15-year old...granted, you can be an in killer shape 32 year old, but you will not be that 15-year old...rock YOUR healthy. Take it from a former anorexic. "You are fearfully and wonderfully made..."



Now to the less serious part of my post...a Christmas Wish List. You could get this for any person on your list and they would love these fit gift ideas:

1. A workout journal: with all the free printables out there, you could even custom build one for your friend, spouse, whoever.

2. A blender bottle: you honestly can't have enough of these...

3. Resistance Bands or loops: you can't have enough of these either....

4. A Gymboss timer: tabata workouts are all the rage this year and will be in 2014

5. A foam roller...for all the DOMS that will ensue from use of the resistance bands. 


 Remember, this time of year is for reflection; don't forget the Reason for the Season!




No comments:

Post a Comment