Monday, August 4, 2014

Tough Love: Elimintaing Toxic Behaviors in Your Environment.

Hi Friends,
It's been awhile since I've done a Monday post. Wednesday will resume our fitness theme, but today I  wanted to talk to you about a spiritual/motivational topic. That topic is tough love. I picked this topic because I had to learn to balance it a lot last week...and definitely some epic fails in the process. Ok, pretty much everyone I know knows what I believe. That we as Christians are to "turn the other cheek". This being said, we're expected to lie down and take it. Meek and mild...what people don't know is that in the New Testament, the direct translation for meek is "power under control". That means "balance". We are called in Micah 6:8 to, "Act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God." We are called to have an intense desire to seek justice for the downtrodden...not just for those on the other side of the world....but in our own communities. That being said, some think that it means to always defend others, not yourself. But how many times is it noted in the New Testament, Jesus speaks of shaking the dust off one's feet and warns against, "casting pearls before swine"....Yeah, it takes discernment, but I would rather someone be reprimanded me, when I really care about their soul,  than by someone who would do them bodily harm down the road. Deal with yourself first, which is what I should've done this week. Then go to that person. Pause. Ponder. Pray.



When to put your foot down, about toxic behaviors:
1. When you see destructive behaviors, and you notice yourself startuing to pick up their toxic tendencies.
do not condone such behaviors...they are not ok. Have a spine and deal with it now, because later on down the road, it gets worse.
2. They start to constantly verbally attack/condescend others...including yourself. By letting them do that to you...you're saying "It's ok to do this to people in general."
3. You notice others starting to pick up those behaviors.
4. You find yourself becoming more and more frustrated at home, work, school, or wherever the toxicity is occuring.
5. You start to see others running for cover from that particular person.

This is something that women in particular struggle with...It's hard for us not to be backstabbers...Don't deny it...Not perfect at this, but  a safe guard I try to use is "would I say that to that person's face, if I were being honest with them?", or "is that something I would want said about me if I weren't around?" Better yet, silence is golden.

Be kind to each other, forgiving one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you. Eph. 4:32

Show love this week!
Julie





No comments:

Post a Comment