Saturday, October 12, 2013

Terrific Tabata

Ok...so, I hate cardio...just for the record. I do the occasional 5k, but the idea of spending anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes on a a machine that makes me feel like a two-legged hamster. I realized I haven't touched on this topic since I started the blog over a year ago. Well, here it is. I love the results I get from sprinting, but I knew there just had to be a form of cardio out there, other than the Zumba® classes I teach, that challenges my mind as well as my body. Well, here lately, I've been on a Tabata kick. It's wonderful. I get my cardio done in less than 10 minutes, am dripping with sweat and actually feel like I got a workout. You might say, Ta-whata? Tabata training was discovered by a Japanese scientist names Izumi Tabata. It works the cardiovascular system and the musculoskeletal system, increasing endurance and strength. Tabata training involves 20 seconds of high intensity work followed by 10 seconds of rest. This pattern is completed 8 times. I usually like to do 2-4 types of tabatas in a cardio workout.







Sample Tabata workout:
20 seconds jumping jacks
10 seconds rest (march in place)
complete 8x
20 seconds squat to kick and punch
10 seconds rest
complete 8x

Well, I thought I would hate Tabata too, but I was wrong. It's wonderful...(did I already say that?), and it accelerates results, and it saves time. It can be adapted to your fitness level, no matter what level you are, and it isn't  time consuming! And...you can even do these workouts at home! Try it out you just might like. I like Tabata so much now, that I even teach a combined strength and Tabata class now!

Source:
http://tabatatraining.org/?p=18

No comments:

Post a Comment