Saturday, September 20, 2014

5 Workout Faux Pas You Might be Making

Hello There!
I had two posts planned for this week, but I guess this first one will just have to do....LOL
Workouts are undoubtedly one of my favorite things to post about - maybe it's because I'm a personal trainer and group fitness instructor? Ha. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to address some common mistakes that people make in there workouts that usually affect everything else in their fitness/wellness regimen. Sometimes people get cranky about this when it's mentioned because of their "elitist" attitudes...however, that doesn't change the fact that sometimes we all hit ruts - even fitness pro's, and we need a wake-up call to get us back on the right track, myself included.



1. Thinking that exercise alone is enough and you don't need to fuel for your workouts.
Ok, so I'm not saying you shouldn't "splurge" once in awhile. It's great for your mental health...LOL.
However, your body converts food into energy via 3 different systems. If you're paleo, and a marathon runner, that's probably not going to work for you long term because your body needs those carbs because the aerobic system takes a long time to use up energy, and thus, your fuel needs sticking power. I could go scientific on you, but it would make you go to sleep. Weight lifters, competition prep diets are not for the long term. Man, or woman for that matter, cannot live on spring green and chicken  alone. Carbs are what give your muscle "pump" or fullness, in fact your body needs complex carbs, like sweet potatoes and brown rice in order to help your body process protein. Also if your doing super intense workouts, but eating doughnuts once a day, you're not going to be able to find your six-pack...unless you're a genetic freak, but chances are if you're reading this, you're not. End of first soapbox.

2. Doing the exact same squats, the exact same lunges, the exact same push-ups, etc. for months on end, because that's what you're good at..While practice makes perfect, You need to vary the exercises in your routine. I change my routine up every 4 weeks. Even following programs like PiYo, I have a huge selection of dvd's, so the variety still gets thrown in. Little changes can go a long way. I've worked as a gym manager, and seen members come in and literally use the same routine for...over 2 years. No change, and meanwhile, they never progressed, and couldn't figure out the problem...If you are that stuck in a rut, it's time to pick a professional's brain, because you need a perspective. That's why I do 21 Day Fix or PiYo or Body Beast, because I teach classes, and I'm used to my training style, so  my body needs a switch up so I don't over train. Capish?

3. Changing up too often. You don't have to reinvent the wheel every time you workout. Just change and exercise out or do a different variation or change the load from weight to dumbbells. You'll see results...I use to make this mistake all the time.

4. Not allowing yourself to be held accountable. You don't have to have a workout buddy every time you go to the gym, but allow yourself to be teachable, especially in areas where you struggle. My husband, Micah sets a great example in this. Not many men would ask their wife for advice in the middle of a gym, but Micah respects my credentials. If you feel like you're over training, sit down with someone who has extensive knowledge and evaluate some things.

5. Not tracking your progress. There are phone apps, or if you're like me and love to write, pen and paper journals that are not rocket science. This can also motivate you when you don't see the scale budge but you've lost three inches in your waist. Also a food intake journal will help, especially if you're prone to cravings or go to a lot of events for work. Just a suggestion.

I really hope this information will help prevent frustration and keep you informed. If you ever need me, find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/julieaulerhealthfitness

Stay Strong,
Julie  


No comments:

Post a Comment